09 March 2010

League Night 1

Tonight was my first game in the escalation league being held by The Gamers Realm.  My first game was against a good friend who just happens to be brand new to the hobby.  He brought out his newly acquired Black Templar force.  I was fielding a small force made up of mainly troops with a stripped down Predator for some long range support.  Brian brought a couple of combat squads, an assault team and two, yes TWO dreadnoughts!

We deployed with Dawn of War on a 4x4 table.  Brian put his dreads mostly center with a squad out front and his assault team coming up the far side with another squad.  I threw a squad down the far side followed by the second squad on a tank hunt.  The pred took the center and parked there out of range of the center dread.  I manged to immobilize the center dread with the only solid hit from the auto-cannon all night.  I managed to tie up the far left squad with half of squad one, and second squad came around behind to put two melta shots in the far dread shortly after it turned rhino one into swiss cheese.

Most of the game was a swap of bolter shots and flamer shots with two combat squads in the middle who got tied up into the eternal hand to hand combat.

In the end on the game extension roll we rolled a two, ending the game.  With both his dreads down and my rhino my only full casuallty I manged to take the game.  Given a bit more time and his assault team would have pounced on the Predator or chewed through the heavy weapons combat squad on the right side.

All in all a great game and big Kudos to our great host Matt for letting us stay a touch after closing to finish up our game!.

No comments: